Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spring is in the Air

I love spring anywhere, but if I could choose I would always greet it in a garden.  ~Ruth Stout

It is March.  The garden is coming alive.  This month signifies growth, change, and newness of life for me.  March is the month that my daughter was born.  I had prepared the garden ahead of time so that I wouldn't have a thing to do but focus on her.
These photos were taken after we came home from the hospital as a new family of three.
It is now four years later and I am so excited that I can share gardening, one of my favorite past times, with my daughter.

It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold:  when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade.  ~Charles Dickens
I acquired some Hyacinth Bean Vine seeds from my mom (who is also a gardener). Here is the gardener in training counting out the new seeds...or beans...
We found the perfect spot to try growing our vine...the arbor that Dave made for me last year.
Digging the hole....
Ready to plant!
Doesn't this photo just make you want to stick your fingers in the dirt?  This is the best time for planting....soft, moist dirt just waiting to sprout new things!
This is the vine in bloom....Hopefully we will successfully replicate it.
Happy Spring!

4 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I wish my yard looked like that in March! We're lucky the grass is at least green. I loved sharing my garden with my kids when they were little; we used to walk around and I would tell them the names of the plants and flowers. I remember one year {2nd or 3rd grade} my son's teacher brought in lambs ear and asked if anyone knew what it was. My son was very proud to come home after school that day and tell me he was the only one who knew the answer!

Tamera said...

Thanks, Kathy! My daughter is pretty proud that she knows what lamb's ear is too:) It must stand out to them...texture, name, or something.

Unknown said...

I love it! Everything looks so lovely!

Kara said...

Beautiful pics! I want to come and soak it up! Make sure to tell me when the lemon tree gets blossoms, heavenly scent! Someday, when I can garden in March you can stick your fingers in my dirt:)!